About BDS Course:
BDS is one of the most popular and designated degree of dentists (doctors). The BDS (Bachelor of Dental Surgery) is the only educational and professional programme of dental surgery in India. It is equivalent to the MBBS and owes the “Dr” domain. In the medical educational field, it is the second choice of the students after the MBBS course.
In this course, the students are taught about the denture, dental problems and surgery. It is also a good job oriented degree programmes and various opportunities are available in the hospital, pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturing industries.
The Curriculum Includes
- Clinical case studies and discussions
- Clinical demonstration
- Performing various restorations on phantom head and also on patients.
- Workshops and seminars
- Clinical Practice
- Further studies/ fellowships
- Master of Dental Surgery and Clinical practice
- Government administrative services
- Hospital Administration.
BDS Eligibility & Duration:
- The BDS is a 5 year (4 years academic education + 1 year mandatory internship)
- The students, who have passed the 10+2 examination with science stream and have had Physics, Chemistry and Biology and English in 12th stream, may go for the BDS course.
- The BDS course contains the basic subjects like human anatomy, physiology & biochemistry, dental material, prosthodontics, microbiology, embryology & histology, general & dental pharmacology and pathology, periodontics, pedodontics, orthodontics and dentistry.
BDS Student Can Become
Advance Courses After BDS
- Oral Pathologist
- Dental health consultant
- Lecturer (Junior Lecturer)
- M.Sc. in Primary Dental Care
- M.Sc. in Paediatric Dentistry
- M.Sc. in Restorative and Artistic Dentistry
- MSD (Master of Dental Surgery)
Top BDS Colleges in Bangalore:
V S Dental College (Kempegowda)
RV Dental College
M.S. RAMAIAH MEDICAL COLLEGE
DR. B.R. AMBEDKAR MEDICAL COLLEGE -[BRAMC]
Dayananda Sagar College of Dental Sciences
VYDEHI INSTITUTE OF MEDICAL SCIENCES AND RESEARCH CENTRE -[VIMS]
KASTURBA MEDICAL COLLEGE -[KMC]
Syllabus and Subjects for BDS:
Physiology + Biochemistry
Dental Anatomy + Dental Histology
Microbiology + Pathology
Final year (4th year)
Oral Medicine and radiology
Oral and maxillofacial Surgery
Public health and community dentistry
Conservative and endodontics
Materials used in Dentistry
Human Oral Anatomy, Physiology, Histology and Tooth Morphology
Oral Pathology and Oral Microbiology
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery